Let the numbers tell the story. Here are 15 more compelling facts from Bitter Lawyer. We leave the opinions up to you.
27. Percentage of lawyers identified as self-employed according to the U.S. Department of Labor, 2008-09 Handbook.
$20,000,000. Annual amount attorney James Sokolove, who refers all cases to other lawyers, spends on advertising according to Boston Magazine.
11. Number of law schools with provisional ABA approval.
90.5. Percentage of graduates from ABA-approved law schools who passed New York’s July 2008 bar exam on their first attempt according to the New York State Board of Law Examiners.
7. Number of U.S. Senators who graduated from UVA Law School.
681. Number of local attorneys in the office of Chicago’s largest law firm, Kirkland & Ellis, according Crain’s Chicago Business.
13. Number of Loyola University Chicago School of Law graduates employed firm-wide at Kirkland & Ellis.
5. Number of men billing themselves as lawyers on “Men Seeking Women” personals on Los Angeles Craigslist.
0. The number of women on Los Angeles Craigslist who say they are looking to date a male lawyer.
£1,000. Amount of capital each partner at Allen & Overy is being asked to give back to the firm per equity point according to Legal Week.
$83,000,000. Amount Florida lawyer John Yanchek allegedly helped his clients steal through fraudulent real estate loans according to the Sarasota Herald Tribune.
$12,336. Average living and book expenses for a single law student living on campus in the U.S. according to the American Bar Association.
$30,000. Annual salary for a U.S. District Court judge in 1968 according to U.S. Courts.
$169,300. Annual salary for a U.S. District Court judge in 2008 according to U.S. Courts.
Got a fascinating factoid to share? Of course you do. Email us at email@example.com