Stephen Colbert once said, “I’m not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are.”
Well, Stephen, we’ve located the facts. Kindly give us your opinion.
40. Number of seconds you will have to wait before all hell breaks loose in the TMZ video “Badass Judge Tackles Suspect – In Court!!!”
$294,877. Amount Stephen Jones, Timothy McVeigh’s lawyer, tried to deduct from his federal income tax by donating prosecution materials from the Oklahoma City bombing case to the University of Texas. A three-judge panel of the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a tax court ruling that threw out the deduction, according to the Associated Press.
19. Number of counts in an indictment returned Thursday against former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich—16 of them felony counts, including wire fraud, racketeering and extortion conspiracy, and lying to federal agents, according to the Los Angeles Times.
$2 Million. Amount lawyer Thomas Dunlap had been seeking on behalf of a client who was attempting to sell a tape of Vice President Joe Biden’s daughter Ashley allegedly using drugs. Dunlap recently severed ties with the anonymous client, citing too much media attention, according to UPI.
24. Percentage of laymen who said they trust lawyers in a recent Bar Standards Board poll in England. Only three percent said they trusted journalists, while a mere two percent had any faith in bankers, according to a Times Online story.
24. Number of Harvard Law graduates who are partners at Cravath, Swaine & Moore.
17 . Number of Columbia Law graduates who are partners at Cravath, Swaine & Moore.
9. Number of Yale Law graduates who are partners at Cravath, Swaine & Moore.
0. Number of Stanford Law graduates who are partners at Cravath, Swaine & Moore.
$4.5 Million. Amount Chicago attorney Corri Fetman is seeking in her sexual harassment suit against Playboy Enterprises. Fetman, who had posed nude for the magazine and briefly wrote a sex advice column, claims that a Playboy executive “bombarded her with sexually explicit emails and phone calls, groped her and took away her column last July when she repeatedly rebuffed his advances,” according to The Chicago Tribune.
$1,974,450. Total compensation, including stock and salary, for GM general counsel Robert S. Osborne for the previous fiscal year, according to Reuters.
$5.2 Million. Total compensation for Google chief legal officer David Drummond, who also earned an additional $11.9 million by exercising options and stock awards, according to the ABA Journal.
$153,200. Maximum amount an Administrative Law Judge employed by the federal government can earn in basic pay, according to the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.
$46,000. The amount Los Angeles County Superior Court judges are paid by the county in addition to their state salary of $179,000, according to the Associated Press.
$225,000. Total compensation for a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge, according to the Associated Press.
$217,400. Salary for Chief Justice John Roberts.
3,500 . Approximate number of attorneys and staff who were laid off by major law firms in March 2009, according to the ABA Journal.